Thursday, August 6, 2009

Thank You, Cory

We are running out of icons.

Last Saturday, August 1, 2009, I was not generally eager for my weekend as I was obliged to visit my father in Bataan. The depressing weather and leaving very early that day did not help at all. It could not get any worse. It definitely could. It was all over the news: Ex-President Corazon Aquino passes away. I was devastated.

Thank you, Cory! Thank you!

I could write about her achievements and how great she was…but I would rather not. If you are a Filipino, you know what made her who she was. I will say this though: no death of a person affected me this much. Which is weird for an EDSA Revolution baby on grounds that it is obvious that back then, I was not yet aware of what was happening in our country. Maybe because she was the president I grew to love when I was finally coherent. Or maybe because she was that lady who always wear bright yellow outfits and never failed to smile on her every image. I also have the utmost respect for a female commander-in-chief and heads of states, so that may very well be it.

I cried when I was watching this documentary about her. I cried when they shared the love story of her and Ninoy. (A Scholastican and a Bedan…perfect!) I cried when they showed clips from the People Power Revolution back in ’86. I shed a tear and saluted when her remains passed by Ayala-Buendia. I cried when her family and close friends gave their eulogies. I cried when the AFP gave her the funeral honors a former commander-in-chief deserves. Like I said, I was devastated.

After five days of serious Philippine mourning, things are back to normal. Filipinos are mostly back to not caring about anyone or anything than their own selves. Crimes and negativity are yet again apparent and main themes of news reports. People are enjoying themselves by discussing showbiz gossips. Politicians are using Mrs. Aquino’s death for their own political gain. Individuals waited for her to be laid to rest before writing negative thoughts about her. Blah, blah, blah.

President Maria Corazon “Cory” Sumulong Cojuangco Aquino was, is and will always be my favorite president. Thank you, Cory. Thank you!

No comments: