Sunday, October 14, 2007

"Heroes"

It was while watching “Late Night w/ Conan O’ Brien” that introduced to me a new show by NBC called, “Heroes.” You see, ever since “F.R.I.E.N.D.S” ended its television dominance in 2004, NBC dropped behind to CBS, FOX and ABC who produced shows like: C.S.I., American Idol, Lost, Grey’s Anatomy, Desperate Housewives and so on. But I ain’t talking about the U.S. Network Wars; I just want to share my insights about the “savior” of NBC. Back with my viewing of “Late Night,” Conan had Greg Grunberg as his guest for that night’s show. Joking about how he is the lucky charm and “redeemer” of television shows and network ratings, having appeared in hits like “Alias,” “Lost,” and “Felicity,” and his latest, a new sci-fi show from NBC: “Heroes.” I found it funny since this guy was never really a lead character in any of those shows. So he talks about his new show where he appears as a police officer who can read other people’s thoughts. Big whoop, I say to myself. No one’s even heard of it. But since I believe in Conan, and he recommends his viewers to watch “Heroes” as it is going to be his network’s personal “hero,” I decided to look out for it.

The new show premiered and it had really, really good reception and reviews. Hey, if this network introduced the greatest sitcom ever (F.R.I.E.N.D.S) then “Heroes” must be something worth my time. Still, no one knew what that show is. The only way I could watch an updated and new seasons of shows in America is, of course, online. Good thing that I have access on what you may call, fast internet service. Having been able to watch the first ten episodes of “One Tree Hill” season four, it is inevitable that “Heroes” will be available online in a matter of days. And so, there it was, first episode of this much talked about new show. Surprise, surprise, I only watched its first five minutes and never really paid much attention to it. I never lost interest and I don’t really know why I didn’t went ahead and watched the show back then. Blame it on being lazy, slow buffering of episodes, or just too many things I wanted to do but never really accomplishing any. The irony of it all, through the course of the later part of last year to present, most of my friends and colleagues really followed the show throughout and became hooked. Like I said, I never lost interest; I just can’t find it.

Later part of this year’s month of September came the premiere of the second season of “Heroes.” I finally found time and drive to watch the show whole-heartedly. Most of them I’ve watched online and the latter part from my DVD. (Thanks, Kads)

So the verdict? Oh, my god!! It was no doubt one of the best things my eyes laid upon on, literally. I enjoyed every single episode and storyline the show had to offer. From notable characters and the powers they wield, I am praising the creators of this show. I cannot really tell the story of the show for there may be some people other like me who waited forever before watching the show. But the jist of it is, evolution is an important part of mankind. Characters discovers they have special abilities and talents like telekinesis, teleportation, tissue regeneration, stopping time, enhanced strength, and many more. One of the factors that makes it work is the randomness of people who had such gifts, and also, ordinary abilities becomes enhanced and evolve into something more magnificent. Every character has his/her own stories to tell and how they live their lives normally as possible is truly interesting to follow. One thing though, I will miss one of my favorite characters as he was killed by another favorite character of mine.

I got to admit, the last 2 episodes, including the season one finale, touched me. I mean, every scene, dialogue, acting…I seriously was in the edge of my seat. Dramas and tragedies doesn’t really affect me as much as adventure does. Call me weird, because I think it is.

So here I am, 4:00 a.m. in the morning writing this and waiting for the new season to buff its way to glory. And, along with my colleagues, I will also be waiting for Tuesdays from now on as it is the day that a new episode comes out. Will the second season top the first one? I hope so! Did NBC found its “savior?” Hell, yeah!

Save the cheerleader; save the world!

No comments: