Monday, November 19, 2007

Where Are My TV Shows?

War in Iraq, global warming, wildfires, bombing of local Congress, a new improvement plan, surf control on most websites…these are just few problems that we are dealing with nowadays. And the one that I am most affected and disturbed by: cancellation of fall shows and episodes due to the 2007 Writers Guild of America strike.

Last night, as I was browsing for information about upcoming episodes of shows that I follow and watch, I was exasperated to find out that “Prison Break” will return next year, January 14th, and the episode last week was its “mid-season finale,” at least until the season continues next year. “Heroes” were also affected as its current season, “Volume II,” will have its season finale on December 3, 2007, and will feature only 11 episodes against the usual 22-episode format per season, due to the fact of the Writer’s strike and drop down in ratings for its first five episodes. Last on my list is “Gossip Girl” where its next two episodes will be shown November 27, 2007 as a 2-hour special and might serve as its season finale for this year. Latest season shows such as “One Tree Hill” supposed to premiere its fifth season on January 8, 2008 will only have 12 out of its 22 episodes completed for their latest season. “Lost” seems to be unaffected as its scripts have been completed before the strike and will premiere its fourth season by February next year. Anyway, for complete lists and information about the effect of the strike to our favorite television shows, click here. All of these semi-cancellations and automatic reruns are caused by the Writers Guild of America strike against Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, an organization of Hollywood TV producers.

I won’t explain the whole thing as I myself don’t understand it. Just click the 2007 Writers Guild of America Strike for full information about what the hell is going on in the Western entertainment world. So, why we are suffering from deprivation of our weekly dose of Hollywood TV shows? Simple, writers know that they’re not getting what they truly deserve from their show producers. A lot of the shows’ stars and cast members supported this strike to the extent that some of them marched with writers and refusing to cross picket lines. The last strike with this kind of magnitude dated back in 1988 where it lasted for 22 weeks and Hollywood suffered losses amounting to 500 million dollars.
Now, since I don’t have any idea as to which side I should support, as I am on the other side of the world, just waiting for my shows, I cannot really make out any conclusion on their dilemma. I don’t know. Give the writers the credit they deserve? Cut some slack for the producers? I don’t care. I just want my shows back! In the end, the losing side is the viewers and audiences. After all, all we wanted to see is if Scofield escapes yet again, the Heroes meet up again to save the world from another Armageddon, Dan and Serena will last, Blair ends up with Chuck, what happens to the Tree Hill Ravens after four years, will the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815 know exactly where they are, the lives of newly established doctors of Seattle Grace Hospital, and so much more. Now, is that too much to ask for?

Images from LATimes.com

No comments: