Thursday, April 3, 2008

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

In the future, my son will lead mankind in a war against Skynet. A computer system programmed to destroy the world. It has sent machines back through time. Some to kill him; one to protect him. Today we fight to stop Skynet from ever being created. To change our future. To change his fate. The war to save man kind begins now.”

I remember the first time I watched “The Terminator,” as always, it was my Ninong who introduced me to this very cool movie about killer robots and judgment days. Back then, computer graphic imagery (CGI) wasn’t really that advanced but the special effects on the first movie were superbly done that people bought the whole concept of man versus machine. It was tagged as one of the best sci-fi movies ever and had a cult following. Its sequel, “Terminator 2: Judgment Day,” also made waves and also was a critical success. The latest installment, “Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines,” came out four years ago and earned big worldwide. And now, after the success of the Terminator franchise, comes “Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.”

Basically it follows the events between Judgment Day and Rise of the Machines. How Sarah is preparing his son John to become the hero that will lead mankind to salvation. Both of them fugitives for blowing up Cyberdyne building from “Judgment Day”, they are now on the run from the authorities and moves from town to town. They are aided by a reprogrammed Terminator sent from the future to protect them and help them survive. For those who don’t get it, watching the films will help. Anyway, I just saw commercials and trailers of it last week in cable and was a bit surprised that they actually created a show off the films. My initial reaction would be to check it out, so I did. I am now totally addicted.

The show stars Lena Headey (300) as Sarah Connor. While she may not be Linda Hamilton, she gave justice to her role. Heroes’ Thomas Dekker plays the role of the would-be messiah, John Connor, and succeeds as a teenager struggling to fulfill his destiny. Probably, the role that calls for the biggest shoes to fill goes to Summer Glau (Serenity), who plays Cameron Phillips, a hot female Terminator who is sent by the future John to protect and assist his past self and Sarah. Big shoes in the sense that when you think Terminator, you think Arnold Schwarzenegger; and no one plays the part better than the original scary robot. The show also stars Richard T. Jones as FBI Agent James Ellison who is in pursuit of the truth behind the so-called killer robots and soldiers from the future. Stellar cast, if you ask me. And did I mention Summer, the Terminator chick’s hot?

With most of the TV programs that I follow on season breaks, I am really psyched that I discovered TTSCC. Due to the Writers’ Strike that lasted for several months, almost all American shows were never completed and the last episode that was filmed served as their season finale, (Heroes, Prison Break, and One Tree Hill). Lost and Gossip Girl will be back at the end of the month. So I’m really thankful that I have this new show to get my by. Unfortunately, even the Terminators didn’t succeed in its mission to restore order in the Hollywood writers’ world as only nine episodes of the series were completed. As of writing, I am actually down to the last episode and will have to wait for the last quarter of this year for its sophomore season.

Based on its ratings, it was a commercial success and future seasons are guaranteed. Hey, I’m excited. “Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles” is probably the only sci-fi TV show that got me hooked. It’s that intense. I want to be a robot!

No comments: