Monday, March 3, 2008

First Book Meme

I got tagged by Kimberly.

Instructions:

1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the 5th sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people.

First Love
By Adrienne Sharp

“Adam turned and made the march across the loft to his room, his ridiculous room, the nursery, and into his bathroom where he tore of his clothes and got into the shower. He stood in there for a long time, examining and looking at his toenails, which were as mangled and discolored as any girl’s who danced on pointe, relishing the sensation of the showerhead massage, letting it drive away his mother’s question, her answer to his question. His mother would never have another baby, this he knew, but his father wouldn’t need her, he could find anyone, any one of the girls he screwed if he wanted it enough.”

I got this as a present for my 21st birthday from Easter. For some reason, she found it amusing to give me a girly book, which is okay as I enjoy reading chic lit but this one’s too sissy for me. I haven’t even finished it yet. She says that I will relate to the story. The story goes like this:

Sandra is a dancer in the corps of the New York City Ballet who has just been chosen for stardom by the great ballet master George Balanchine. Adam is an explosively gifted new star who has defected to the rival company, the American Ballet Theatre. They're an ambitious young pair on the thrilling precipice of fame, ill-prepared to handle the demands, seductions, expectations, and choices that are visited on them as they finally come within reach of their dreams.

Tell me, how the hell will I relate with ballet dancers? The “demands, seductions, expectations, and choices,” maybe, but not the story. Tsk tsk. Oh, well. It’s the nearest so that’s it…

This tag goes out to Hannah, Vanessa, Odette, and Jamie.

Summary from Fantastic Fiction.

No comments: